1. No, we will not be going out this New Year’s Eve. I plan to be right here at home the whole evening. I am going to cook dinner — probably prime rib — and we’ll relax in front of th fire watching a movie. We usually watch the ball drop in Times Square at 9:00 p.m. Pacific time, even though we are generally still awake at midnight, too. New Year’s Eve is most always a terrible night to travel in this region due to dense, treacherous fog.
2. When I was growing up, my family ate dinner together each and every night at the old kitchen table. That’s where a lot of information, ideas, thoughts, and feelings were exchanged, and plans were made.
3. I watched the steam rising from the hot cup of coffee (or tea) and thought: “Wow, I don’t quite feel like I’m on vacation yet. I think it will take me a couple of days to completely unwind and stop thinking about work.”
4. I believe that every parent lives every day believing that his/her children will grow up, succeed, and are going to be okay.
5. I’ll take time to visit with many friends over the holidays, in addition to spending some quiet time at home with my boys.
6. I have always enjoyed the Christmas Eve candlelight service and look forward to participating again this year. It is the most beautiful worship service of the year at least from my point of view, and the only service that I have any interest in attending.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to cooking dinner for the boys and enjoying a relaxing evening at home in front of a crackling fire (a dense fog advisory has already been issued for tonight), tomorrow my plans include hosting brunch for several long-time friends, and Sunday, I want to play it by ear . . . I don’t have any plans yet!
To read the responses of other participants, visit Friday Fill-Ins.
On December 24th, the Merry Christmas 2009 Edition of the Carnival of Family Life will be published here! That will be the final Edition of the long-running Carnival. You can submit your posts here by December 23, 2009, at 11:00 p.m. (Pacific time)!