1. All children alarm their parents, if only because you are forever expecting the very best for and from them, but bad things happen to all of us from time to time; plus, we are all human and flawed. I consider parenting to be the ultimate expression of “eternal optimism.”
2. Show me a good loser and I will show you a person who either lacks motivation and drive or has become adept at hiding his/her feelings of disappointment and failure.
3. Drinking Kahlua is like eating an entire box of chocolate liqueurs at one time.
4. Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy trying to make the best decisions that they can in consideration of the fact that we are in completely unprecedented and, accordingly, uncharted territory and faced with the challenge of simultaneously dealing with multi-layered crises.
5. I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine assertiveness and tact.
6. It is impossible to think of any good meal, no matter how plain or elegant, without a glass of good wine or some delicious vegetables in it.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to relaxing here at home watching Real Time with Bill Maher and most likely dozing off fairly early. Tomorrow my plans include water aerobics and stopping by an open house in my old neighborhood, and celebrating Father’s Day with the boys and their dad. Sunday, I want to do the laundry early in the day so that I can spend the afternoon sorting through the pile of mail on and organizing my desk, and getting ready for a busy workweek.
To read the responses of other participants, visit Friday Fill-Ins.
This Monday is the very special Father’s Day Edition of the Carnival of Family Life! You can submit your posts here by 7:00 p.m. (Pacific time) on Sunday, June 21, 2009!