The folks at Sunday Stealing rip off a meme from another blogger each Sunday. They give full credit and a link back to that author’s site, of course — and invite everyone to play along.
The Christmas Meme
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. Gift bags hold no mystery.
2. Real or artificial tree?
Artificial with pre-strung lights.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Not until vacation begins, generally no sooner than December 20.
4. When do you take the tree down?
New Year’s Day. The tree is always lit for the last time on New Year’s Eve.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Love it with a dash of brandy.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Can’t remember one particular gift that stands out.
7. Hardest person to buy for?
Christmas is a low-key affair in our family, so shopping is easy.
8. Easiest person to buy for?
There are several folks for whom I am no longer buying presents. Instead, I am making donations in their honor to various charities. So the hardest part of “shopping” is deciding which charity will receive the donation. I try to personalize the donation in a way that is meaningful to the person I am honoring, based on their life experience, family history, known participation in or support of a particular group’s fundraising efforts, etc.
9. Do you have a nativity scene?
I have several beautiful nativity scenes.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
A mixture of both.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I was taught to be grateful for any act or expression of kindness expressed.
12. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
We like to have tamales on Christmas Eve.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
When the mood strikes or time is running out, whichever occurs first.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not that I can recall, but I would if I thought someone else would appreciate receiving something I had been given by a friend or relative.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Lefse (Norwegian flatbread) with butter and grape jelly.
16. Lights on the tree?
17. Favorite Christmas song?
I can’t name just one . . . I love all of the traditional carols.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We definitely enjoy being at home.
19. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Always an angel.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Presents from family and friends are opened on Christmas Eve. Those brought by Santa are opened on Christmas morning.